Finals week can be a stressful time for many students, and it can be easy for self-care to fall to the wayside. Here are a couple wellness tips to help you be at your best for finals.
- Study with nourishing snacks! What you snack on while you study matters. To help stay alert and focused, reach for a combination snack that that has more bang for its buck. Foods like nuts with dark chocolate, fruit with nut butter, veggies with hummus, or yogurt with granola will help keep blood sugars steady which in turn helps keep you full, focused, and awake.
- Take time out for a real meal. Taking a break from studying to eat a full meal is a great way to destress and take some time for yourself-especially if you do so with a friend! It’s also a good way to make sure that you’re taking care of and nourishing your body even during a high-stress time. Aim for a well-balanced meal with plenty of plants, lean protein, whole grains, and a little bit of fat to keep your mind on its A-game.
- Drink some water! It sounds so simple but making sure that you stay hydrated can really help with alertness and concentration, keeping headaches at bay, reducing fatigue, and even improving your mood!
- Make time to move your body. Finals can be a very sedentary couple of weeks. Combat that by getting up and moving when you can! Taking breaks to stretch, go for a walk, or get a workout in can help to refresh and refocus your mind. It’s also a great way to relieve some stress and improve sleep quality!
- Aim for 7 hours of sleep each night. During finals week it can be tempting to pull an all-nighter to get the most out of your study time, but this can be doing more harm than good. When we sleep, our brain can process and store information from the day before most effectively. By losing out on sleep, our brain doesn’t have as much time to do this which can lead to poorer information recall.
Written by, Carese Walczyk RD.