Although there is no “silver bullet” or “fix all” food, there are many nutrients that can help boost your immune system.
Immune Boosting Nutrients
- Beta Carotene: sweet potatoes, spinach, carrots, mango, broccoli, and tomatoes
- Vitamin D: eggs, fatty fish (salmon and tuna), milk and 100% juice fortified with vitamin D
- Vitamin A: red bell peppers, carrots, broccoli, eggs, sweet potatoes
- Vitamin E: almonds, sunflower seeds, peanut butter
- Zinc: beef, seafood, wheat germ, beans, nuts, and tofu
- Vitamin C: citrus fruits, berries, melons, tomatoes, bell peppers, and broccoli
- Probiotics: cultured dairy products such as yogurt and kimchi
- Protein: milk, yogurt, eggs, beef, chicken, seafood, nuts, seeds, beans, and lentils
Important Tips for Immune Health
- Getting a good amount of sleep (7-9 hours) with a balanced diet are key to maintaining a healthy immune system
- Finding a pastime or hobby can help to alleviate stress. Chronic stress has been found to lower the immune system’s functionality.
- This may include exercising, listening to music, or mediation.
- Maintain good hygiene and safe-food practices. This may include good hand hygiene as well as ensuring produce has been washed prior to eating or cooking.
How can I Boost my Immune System to Combat Covid-19?
Following the tips listed above along with eating a well-balanced diet filled with foods with “immune-boosting nutrients” may help to build up your immunity to COVID-19.
To learn more, join our monthly BeWell Webinar on October 14th.
Join the webinar, HERE.